Monday, October 18, 2010

I'm Cured


I've been playing with my new iPhone (sexy!) and snapped this pic of Jimmy eyeing up the dinner table. Bad boy! Get away from Mommy's wine!


I took my dose of Alan Rickman like a good sick wino, and lo and behold I'm back in the rosé! Happily no one else in my home has it (yay!), but unfortunately my Dad is now housing the angry tummy troll (boo!). So Dad, if you're reading this, get better and I'll bring you something delicious to drink.


Two fermented grape nectars have passed my lips recently, both from Ontario: one ok, the other MWAH! gorgeous! They're two from the haul Karen and I brought back from Barrie a couple of weeks ago. You should have seen us filling our shopping cart with Vintages wine. It was so full you could barely push it. None of it bargain wine either--nope! This was our holiday haul, and damned if we were going to be stuck with Midland LCBO wine as our only option. There were a few raised eyebrows as we went through the checkout with that assload of wine at 11 a.m., but phooey. It's not like we were buying two tallboys for breakfast (the Midland early bird special). This is for RESEARCH, haters! Research for my very important self-created imaginary project with no supervision, deadline or grades. So angry snaps to you!

ANYWAY, on with the wines! First up was Château des Charmes St. David's Bench Vineyard VQA 2008 Gamay Noir 'Droit'. Gamay Noir Droit, you ask? What is this Gamay Noir Droit? Well I'll tell you, it is in fact Canada's first 'vinifera'. Born in the Château des Charmes vineyard, Gamay Noir Droit matures more quickly than Gamay Noir, and has more colour and sugar. Okay, cool, but is it yummy? Sure. It has that characteristic berry fruitiness of Gamay, but is smokier, and more savory. The sweet and savory flavours together reminded me of teriyaki or spicy plum sauce. I'd try it again with Chinese food, just fer fun.

The next wine, and the real standout for me, was Malivoire 2008 Red. SISTER--pay attention! I know you think there is no worthwhile Ontario wine to be had, but this wine will change your mind, trust! I give this wine two thumbs up, one hell ya and one of these:



A blend of Merlot, Cabernet and Gamay, this wine has a lovely, juicy fruitiness to it, but enough tannin to give it a backbone. Cedar, a bit of oakey vanilla and spicy cocoa hit your palate too. AND its not a Vintages wine! It was only about $14, and regular LCBO stock (unless--you guessed it--you live in Midland. Sorry.). I think this wine is an extremely good value and I won't be sorry when a few more bottles find their way into my wine rack.


Playing with my new iPhone camera again. You're looking at tomorrow night's dinner. It's duck, marinading in a lovely bath of red wine, cranberry juice, cranberries, mint, fresh ginger, lemon, lime, orange and sea salt. Le drool. I'll let you know how it turns out.

In honour of being cured of the flu--and of a divine Ontario wine--I'll leave you with The Cure:

2 comments:

  1. I'll have what she's having.

    Haha!

    Ok, save me a tallboy of that there good stuff and I'll have some for breakfast next time I come over.

    Meanwhile, a Costco selection of Californian Cabernets - now that is worth screaming for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh crap, you've gone and come back again haven't you?! And I was going to beg you for some Bonny Doon! No matter, how was it? Jealous!!! What did you drink?

    ReplyDelete