Friday, April 8, 2011

Wine Show Wind Up--It never ends.

One of the nifty things about the wine show was being able to try multiple samples of the same varietal side by side.  I hardly ever get the opportunity to do this; it would mean buying several bottles, opening them all at once, and well then you're kind of obliged to drink them, aren't you?  That maybe isn't the healthiest thing for the wallet or liver.  Karen and I have done a 3 bottle horizontal rosé tasting, but the least favourite bottle went into the risotto, which left us each a bottle to kill over an 6-8 hour period (no difficulties there!).  Unless you're part of a wine club, you prolly don't do this often either (why is there no wine club in Midland?).  It's a pity, because it's an exercise that's so revealing.  You can really begin to identify the characteristics of a region when you try several examples side by side.

The four of us were already fully 'marinated' by the time we got to the Wines of New Zealand booth, but that didn't stop us from tasting four different Sauvignon Blanc.  What a great exercise!  It was one of those a-ha! moments for me.  So this is what they mean by grassy and pineappley!  I get it!  I think forevermore I will be able to pick up New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc out of a lineup (bring on the blind tasting!).  Lorri called it 'headache wine', I'm guessing because of that sharp acidity, but I think she might have liked these wines much better if they had been paired up with some nice, fatty cheeses.

I didn't get the name of all the Sauv Blanc's, but the one standout I liked was Villa Maria Private Bin Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough.  It's inexpensive--$15.95--and accessible (LCBO# 426601).  It had those very distinct grassy aromas, with exotic fruit flavours to fill it out a bit.  I'd be inclined to pair this with a rich meal, lobster or simply with a cheese tray.

Right!  We're near the end of Wine Show Wind Up, and I'm saving the best for last.  Next up, I'll introduce you to the most friendly, lovable, generous wine agent and chef, and we three girls renew our commitment to go to Italy.  Stay tuned!

xoxo

Barb

No comments:

Post a Comment