Thursday, April 15, 2010

Dinner with the folks and two Canadian wines.

A weird day here in Midland. Cold to start; wore the jacket on my walk to the liquor store for tonights wine, and came out roasting as the thermometer climbed all the way up to 26 degrees (hello! It's April!). Forgive me for mentioning the weather; I am Canadian after all.

Anyhoo, tonight was my dinner with Dad. Well both parents actually. I don't mean to marginalize Mom (I love you Mama); it's just that Dad's the one in need of company, so we focus on him a bit more. Mom works and keeps busy and has lots to do, but Dad has Parkinson's disease and is stuck at home with the cat most days (though he wouldn't be if the cranky bastard wouldn't chase away the Red Cross nurse and refuse to go to the senior's centre). So, like I said, when we get together we kind of focus on Dad, 'cause he's the one who needs the tlc.

Dad likes wine. Not a connesieur or anything, he just likes wine. And food. Dad likes food. Dad was the one who taught us kids to be adventurous eaters. We used to wince at his fiddleheads and funny mushrooms, and those spanish onion & brown sugar & vinegar sandwiches (I love the first two, but still can't manage those sandwiches). Now all three of us kids love exciting food thanks to him. So, tonight I swapped our regular lunch out at the pub for evening in at his place cooking dinner.

Remember the fettucine with mushroom and sage and goat cheese I wrote about previously? I did a encore tonight. I so wanted to have an encore with the Domaine Chevallier Chablis, but alas, our teeny liquor store had NO Chablis whatsoever! Gah! There's a wall of Rye and all the Dr. McGillicudy's Teenage Panty Peeler you could ever want, but not one damned bottle of Chablis! What fresh hell is this?!

No matter, I switched gears and decided to get patriotic. I left the store with a bottle each of Creekside Life is Good Unoaked Chardonnay 2008 VQA and Mission Hill's 2007 Family Estate Pinot Noir VQA. I was especially keen to try the Pinor Noir, as I haven't come across one yet that I like (until now).

I got dinner rolling, bantering with Dad about the latest town gossip, tossing salad, steaming mussels and all that good stuff, and we cracked the Chardonnay first. I do declare, mama likes the unoaked chardonnay. Is this trendy? I see this in the liquor stores here and about. It's brighter, less smoky and sexy than the oakey stuff. Good for a chug a lug on a hot afternoon. I read recently that you should start with the brighter, vibrant wines and ease into the heavier stuff, so that was tonight's plan.

Dad approved of the Chardonnay. So did I. Not over the moon in love gush gush kiss kiss love, just like liked it. I'd drink it again gratefully. I'd say this is a really good value wine. It was cheap and cheerful, like around $12 at the LCBO, so if that's all you've got in your wallet and you're looking for something delish and refreshing, you should try this wine.

I splashed a little Chard into the cream sauce and poured Dad and I each a glass of the Pinot Noir I'd been decanting for an hour or so. It was just Dad and I drinking; those other heathens (Mom and Trevor) don't like wine. Bah. Fine. More for us I say. And hot damn people, this was good wine. Mom teased me for saying so about oh, 40 times at dinner, but damn damn damn, mama likes this wine.

Mission Hill 2007 Family Estate Pinot Noir, for me was velvety, velvety oooooohh like velvet. Spicy velvet. Corrr...drooling a la Homer thinking about it. I got fresh snow peas from it too, though that's totally not in the tasting notes. Who cares. Just go get it. Finally, a Pinot Noir that didn't disappoint. Thank you, Mission Hill! Loves you!

We wrapped up the night with me strumming my guitar, playing Patsy Cline tunes, loving it when Dad sang along. Mom and Trevor and the kids played downstairs. The house smelled like butter and garlic and cream. We took our full bellies home, hoping to do it all again next week. 'Round the block a few times first though. All this good livin' is murder on the waistline!

On a totally unrelated note, I'd like to post a picture of a dear, dear friend:



If you know me and you're over it already, I'm sorry, but I can't help myself. Above is my sweet Lara. It's with a sad, heavy heart I report that after nearly 9 wonderful years, we lost her on Tuesday. Full of cancer, we made the painful decision to put her to sleep before her life became more painful than it already was. Lara was a soft, loving, dear, dear dog who was such a special part of our lives. She'll always be in my heart. Dearest Lara, I raise my glass to you tonight. You're a good girl. Mama loves you.

'Til next time,

B.

No comments:

Post a Comment