Thursday, April 1, 2010

Domdechant Werner 2007 Hochheimer Holle Riesling Kabinett. Let's just shorten that to "Give the bottle to Mommy."

Mommy likes. But it wasn't what I was expecting!

If you read yesterday's blog entry, you'll already know that Ginger-Apple Stir Fry and Lemon Souffle were on the menu. The recipe for the stir fry came from www.drinkriesling.com . It was okay, guests and hubby seemed to really like it a lot. I was just so-so on it; a bit bland for my taste, and they should have omitted pepper from the recipe! Pepper + Riesling= No! Next time I'll skip the pepper and add more apples. The Riesling wants something sweeter and milder to accompany it.

The tasting process is becoming familiar. Open bottle with greedy anticipation. Empty contents into Mason jar. Try not to pour self a bigger glass than my guests. Offer husband a splash, knowing he'll politely decline every time. Give the glass a little twirl. Stick nose in glass like I'm a dog drinking out of a water dish. Inhale. Mind races along, whirring through my mental index of a lifetime of sensory memories. Taste. Sensory whammy. Concentrate. Whiff and taste again. Repeat until the mental index goes ping and stops on the word I'm looking for.

During the process I try and remember to keep my place in the ongoing dinner conversation. I don't want my guests to think I'm some sniffing and gulping mental case. This can be hard! Fortunately I am a woman, and therefore used to multitasking. I manage to keep a toe in the conversation while my tastebuds talk to my brain.

Domdechant Werner's 2007 Hochheimer Holle Riesling Kabinett is It in the world of Riesling. Bow down, you other Rieslings! Could I have picked a better wine to take my Riesling virginity? No! Losing your Riesling virginity to this wine is like losing your actual virginity to a man with Daniel Craig's body, Colin Firth's face and Alan Rickman's voice.

First whiff was baffling. First taste was surprising. Much sweeter than what I expected! But not yucky sweet. Smooth, smooth, smooth. The first flavour that pinged was apricot, and for awhile that's all I could taste. It took awhile for the mental index to find the next flavour, which I interpreted as pear. Apricots and pear. My mind turned to sweet herbs, like mint or even basil, and I wished for some. I wished I had a lovely platter of delicate cheese and fruit, instead of ho-hum stir-fry. I saved a gulp to go along with my souffle and bleh! Lemon and Riesling are enemies.

Later on I checked the tasting notes on this wine, to see if my apricot, pear and herb appartitions were close to the critic's description. The official note: "clean, lively fruitiness. Rich aromas from mature apple, peach and apricot.." Well at least I got the apricot right. I guess I just need more practice *sigh*

: )

Domdechant Werner 2007 Hochheimer Holle Riesling Kabinett was purchased at the LCBO in Barrie, Ontario (Bayfield St.). $19.95.

Until next time,

Barb
p.s. you can read about this wine here: http://www.chamberswines.com/img/producer/D/DMD/DMD110_07_fs.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment