Friday, September 17, 2010

Bien Oui! Drinking in Quebec.




Well aren't I the cosmopolitan kitten? I've just come back from 4 days in la Belle Provence, and oh me oh my they are sophistimicated. I felt like a rube wandering the streets of Montreal, where they're all high-heels and blown-out hair. I was all sneakers and jean jacket, and had mustard on my nose all afternoon after enjoying a gianormous corned beef sandwich for lunch. What can I say? I'm a classy lassie. But forget that-- the wine, people, the wine! Lord the French are clever. Good wine is everywhere, and in between my meanderings on narrow cobblestone streets, I managed to sample 4 wines that were new to me. I might have had more, but I was travelling with a non-drinker (my mother) who thinks all wine smells like paint thinner, and she doesn't egg me on the way my wine-drinking friends do.

So dinner on night one was just a bunch of stuff thrown together, you know roast suckling pig marinated a l'orange, barley risotto with mushroom and asparagus. And with what did I wash down this humble offering? Try Baron Phillipe de Rothschild Merlot (no vintage provided, but who cares)! By the glass! For $10! I know!! I'm guessing you've jumped up and started packing a bag for Montreal, but finish my blog first. Hilariously, it was brought in a giant footed water glass and filled to within a centimeter of the rim. For reals. God I love the French. Seeing as the glass was very full, there was no swirling and sniffing lest I ruin the white table linens, but basically it was what you would expect: beautifully balanced, ripe red fruit without being too juicy, probably the Merlot that all Merlots aspire to. Delicieux!

Dinner the following night was in St. Foy at Le Manoir du Spaghetti. This is no cheesy spagetti factory people. This is pasta heaven. I alternatingly stuffed the most delicious seafood linguine into my face and slurped up two wines: Mission Hill Pinot Blanc before dinner, and Castello di Gabbiano Chianti (no vintages given on the wine menu).

The Pinot blanc was a bit of a surprise. I chose it because I'd never tried this grape before, and because I remembered how much I enjoyed Mission Hill's Pinot Noir. Our waiter said it was 'refreshing'. I wouldn't quite put it in the refreshing category, but it was a sunshine-filled white that screamed orange/yellow fruit (peaches! apricot! pineapple!). Not a trace of oak. Sweet, but not cloyingly so. This is one of those wines that could potentially convert non-wine drinkers.

The chianti was soo good. Black fruit, not too acidic for my taste, I'm guessing 13-14% alcohol. I don't know why I don't drink more chianti. It was easy drinking and I was sorry when it was gone. Incidentally, dinner for two with those two big glasses of wine was around a very modest $60. God I love the French.

Our last dinner was had in an adorable tourist trap-area of Quebec City. I tried to convince mom we should dine at la Lapin Saute, but she refused to eat anywhere where they served rabbit, so instead we ended up at Le Cochon Dingue. I figured since this was as close to Paris as I'm going to get, I'd have the Steak Frites. I order 350mls of Ste Croix 2008, a blend that no one had any clue about other than it came from Quebec. I taste or two told me it was Grenache with a bit of Syrah. It was the right choice for steak anyway. Quite tangy, and probably would have liked a little airing out before drinking. No matter I drank it anyway. It came generously poured into this adorable glass bottle. Too adorable!

Technically, that's not the end of my French wine adventure, as I bought a bottle of wine at the SAQ in Montreal. But that my petite chou-chous is for next time.

Au revoir for now!

*kiss kiss*

B.

No comments:

Post a Comment