Sunday, September 26, 2010

Humble dinner, nothing really...



Just look at that coq au vin. Doesn't it make you want to just leap through the screen and gobble up every little bit? It was just that good, kittens, no lie. And my first time making it too! Seriously, if you've never made coq au vin, you should. It's not hard. It's actually kind of humble. And while you're hovering over your stovetop, slowly reducing the fragrant concoction of wine, chicken stock, herbs and butter into a delicious sauce, you can giggle and natter away with a friend over a glass of wine (or two). This is an excellent way to spent a late Sunday afternoon. Don't take my word for it, do it next week and you'll see. Also, I think all of that steamy wine vapour that billows upwards from the sautee pan is good for your complextion (not really, but you can use that as your excuse as you greedily huff the wine-scented steam with your face 8" from the burner).

So traditionally you'd fill your glass with Burgundy to wash down your coq au vin. I would have settled for any nice Pinot Noir, French or otherwise. Fat chance. There were 3--count 'em, THREE--varieties of Pinot Noir available at our crummy LCBO. How sad is that? More Cabernet Sauvignon than you could wave a manure-filled cow horn at, but Pinot Noir? Forget it, dream on. This seriously gives me the grumpies. Curse you, LCBO! I settled for a bottle of Merlot/Pinot Noir blend called Flourish. A 2009 vintage on sale for $10, I didn't have high hopes. The picture on the bottle was pretty though. I scooped up another bottle as a backup plan: Montsant Latria 2006 from Spain.




Thank goodness for the backup plan. Flourish was an ultra purple syrup suitable for treating chest congestion. Seriously, I've never seen a wine so Crayola purple! Not yummy. Phleh.

The Latria, however, was totally yummy. A blend of Grenache and Carignan, it was a nice balance of fruit and spice. It reminded me of rhubarb chutney. This would be a very good choice for Thanksgiving, people, and only around $18 to boot, so hustle your gustle to the store and buy some before it all goes away.

Good news sweetie peaches! Karen and I are definately road tripping to Niagara's wine region a week from Tuesday. Squeee! Those empty spots on my wine rack will be plugged in with some of the best Ontario has to offer. Colour me happy!

'Til next time!

B.

1 comment:

  1. Wowie!! Holy amazing food pic, Batgirl. And just as tossed in the dish, no arranging of onions to glisten and sparkle at the camera, just that was it. Love the apples in the pic too. So anyway, Tawse and Long Dong (hahaha, that was an accident, but when we were talking about it earlier, I was thinking of Long Duck Dong)I mean Long DOG are totally not near each other. Long Dog is 4 1/2 hours, (probably less), not quite to Kingston. So maybe we can find other wineries close to there, or find others around Tawse. Orrrr, if we want to overnight it, we can do both. We'll talk.
    Thank you for a wonderful dinner, c'etait magnifique. If I start a food blog, I so need you to snap photos of the food, I just do not have the eye (or camera) that you do!!! Payment in food, lol.

    ReplyDelete