Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Odds and sods, or should I say drips and drops?

Too many days between posts means I'll be rambling about a mish-mash of catch-up news. 

I am the elated new-owner of a 33 bottle capacity wine fridge!  Oh Santa, you shouldn't have!  Does this mean I will start buying Bordeaux futures now that I have a safe place to put them?  Probably not, but I could if I wanted too (My new temperature-controlled fridge will allow me to store wine at a perfect 55 degrees).  No, what I will likely do is endeavour to fill it with as many different kinds of wine as possible, so I always have the right wine for the right occasion.  I know 33 bottles will seem piddly to some of you folk, but if I reserve the fridge for special 'I'll drink them later' wines and use my wine rack for more immediate- drinking wine, I could end up with a nice little stash.  I'll be quite happy to slowly, thoughtfully fill the fridge over the course of the year.  There's no rush.  Although I say that right on the heels of a little spending spree at the liquor store...

...or rather, I should say my Dad's spending spree at the liquor store.  I was just there to point at stuff for him to put in the cart.  Last Saturday morning, I got a call at 9 o'clock from my mother.  "We're in your driveway.  Dad wants to go to the lcbo."  Sure, what the hell, nothing like shopping for wines and spirits first thing in the morning! It was unexpected, but I was very happy to go on this little field trip; I've wanted to wine shop with my dad for a long time.  He doesn't get out a whole lot, and he loves wine, and I think that he loves that I love wine too.  So away we went to check out the Penetang lcbo for the first time.  People, I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but the Midland liquor store actually has a better wine selection than Penetang.  Although this is not much of an accomplishment; I am really just surprised that it can get worse.  The 'Welcome to Penetanguishene' sign should have " I heart Rye" written over it.  Their Vintages 'section' is a round rack with about 12 wines, plus and aisle end-cap full of ice-wine.  Dad was in fine form, stocking up on his wine for the year; I'd say, "This wine is yummy" and he'd say "Get 4." What a rock star!  Dad is donating a portion of our haul to my wine rack as an early 'not-a-Christmas-present' present, so Dad, if you're reading this--THANK YOU!  And I promise to take you to Barrie for our next wine spending spree.

It's the middle of the night, and I am up because I've been very bad...in a good way.  I spent the day with Karen.  My son Neil brought his new video camera, so the kids spent the day making a movie, pretending they were in Egypt, running around, squealing and talking with British accents (?!), whilst the mummies ate Brie and Camembert on baguette slices and gabbed.  We slowly enjoyed the bottle of Domaine du Haut des Terre Blanche 2007 Chateauneuf du Pape (gorgeous!  Every yummy thing a CduP should be) over the course of the day, and finished it off with a dinner of boeuf bourguignon, followed by red velvet cheesecake.  Lawd I am so, so, SO lucky to have a friend like Karen.  Not only is she pretty much awesome in every way, I am learning a lot about food and cooking from her.  I will never, ever be able to match her mad skills in the kitchen, but I will happily benefit from them as often as she will allow.  Of course I made a complete pig of myself, and am now up rambling in the middle of the night with too much food in my belly.  Methinks I see an hour on the cross trainer in my immediate future.

Alright, I should try and sleep.  Nite nite peeps,

Barb

No comments:

Post a Comment