Sunday, May 30, 2010

Bubble, bubble, no toil, no trouble.



Well here's a reason to do some chug-a-lugging on a hot summer day. Last week Karen and I ran out of wine (you're shocked, I can tell), and all that was left was a bottle of Peller Estates Ice Cuvee Rose that had been chilling in the fridge for a few weeks. It was a gift from Karen she brought back from Niagara; a thank-you for watching her kids over the weekend, while she and her hubby ran away for some grown up time. I'd resolved not to drink it until strawberries were ready, but what's a girl to do? Pop went the cork and into the glass it went.

Honies, darlings, you cannot buy this at the LCBO. But I highly suggest we organize some sort of field trip to this winery and deplete them of their stock. Remember that scene in When Harry Met Sally? You know the one, the "I'll have what she's having" scene. This wine gets three Yes!es and an O My God! Sparkly, light, very strawberry to my palate, it was lovely and fresh and really quite refreshing. And now it's gone. Sads. The empty bottle sits on my desk, teasing me. And I resolve to drink more sparkling wine! Why don't I drink more sparkling wine? It's delicious and you don't need food with it. That's it, dammit! This is my vow, to always have a bottle of sparkling something chilling in the fridge.

On the opposite side of yum, we dove into the last of the Cambridge wine, and in this case, Eileen--my dreamgirl, my wine steward--was off the mark. Or maybe it's just me learning I don't like really dry wine, but the San Marco Frascati was not my bag. Is it just me, or does very dry wine smell just a little bit like throw-up? It improved after it warmed up a little (it was very cold when first poured)and I got whiffs of raspberry off of it, but other that that..bleh.

On a final note, I'll leave you with a link to an incredibly funny video I found on another wine blog. It's the Celebrity Guide to Wine, featuring some of your favourite 80's stars. Let Herbie Hancock teach you about Beaujolais. Watch as Kelly LeBrock properley demonstrate the correct way to open a bottle of wine. Feel kinship with Shelley Hack as she honks down appetizers and drinks wine out of the bottle. It's treasure, trust me.

http://vimeo.com/10339784

'Til next time, kittens!

Barb

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha, throw-up. Gross. Really???? That's what you thought??? I know it's my fault, I picked it up when we had already had that wonderful Fleur and had lost our Falanghina virginity to the AIA, (think that is missing a letter, can't remember).... Where was Eileen when we needed her??....Although we probably would have shoved her away from blocking our view of Cheese Man....lol...And come to think of it, she DID pick all those wines in the first place...Throw up after three bottles of wine is one thing, but on your first sniff??? Not good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not your fault silly! These things happen in wine. At least you didn't have to suffer the Muscat, and I picked that one!
    Yes, we should have shoved Eileen out of the way for a better view of Dan the Cheese man. Oh Dan, Dan, Dan.....Cheese, cheese, cheese...

    ReplyDelete