Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Trip wrap up, and heaven closer to home...


Windy road in New Hampshire.


So I'm back lovelies. What a GLORIOUS week I had. Full of wine and cheese and art and architecture and splendiferous nature, my eyeballs ache from beauty overload. Speaking of overload, I am terrified to step on the scale after a week of cheese as my primary food group. Thank goodness I'm so lucious at any weight, or I might pass the cheese tray altogether, and that would be a great loss indeed. Speaking of cheese, our Cardullo's cheese man with the muscular forearms has a name--Dan. Dan the cheese man dispensed four incredible cheeses to accompany our wine, which were:

Truffle Tremor--made me tremor. A really neat, complex flavour that lingered for a long time.

Chevre Noir--a goat cheese and cheddar mix that I'm currently researching building a house out of.

Pecorino Tartufo--rich and lovely, guaranteed to trigger endorphin release in women over 35.

Guinness Cheddar--thought this might be icky, as I find Guinness about as delicious as chewing on a log, but it was wonderfully delicious! Don't be shy, even if Guinness isn't your favourite.

If you pop into Cardullo's for any or all of these cheeses, tell Dan he's missed terribly and I'll see him in my dreams.

Anyhoo, after our adventures in Cambridge, Mlle. K and I hiked it up to New Hampshire to stay with my friend Christine for the evening. Christine lives in a bubble of perfection called Etna, which is part of Hanover, which is the home of Dartmouth College. It was the tour of Ivy league schools for Karen and I! Such an incredible place, green and mountainous and full of history. My index finger on my right hand practically sprained from depressing the shutter button on my camera, but I couldn't help it! So beautiful! And what a perfect evening we had to pull out a bottle of Cave Springs Reisling Dolomite 2008. Karen and I had two bottles tucked in the trunk after our stop in Jordan, Ontario on the first leg of the trip. We had an unforgettable lunch there (for me it was Pecan and Blue cheese salad with Reisling-poached pears, and mussels for the main course). Now bad news, kittens: this wine is not available at the LCBO, just at the winery. But trust mama when she says gently slip the credit card out of your husband's wallet and order a few bottles for yourself from Cave Springs. If he protests, remind him of how suggestable you are after a couple of glasses of wine. Seriously, this Reisling was as ripe and pert as the Prell girl, with all of those lovely Niagara fruit flavours just bursting out of the glass. Drink at the right temperature though; too cold or warm and those fruity flavours will not be at their showiest.

I'll end it there; more to post about the last leg home, but it derserves it's own space and I'll write again soon.

Cheers,

B.

No comments:

Post a Comment