Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Wine Show Wind Up--Part 2



Okay, so I've already got you hungry for cheese after singing the praises of Thornloe's Camembert and blue goat cheeses (not to mention those curds!  Anne, you're so right!  All others are pretenders to the throne!  And yes, they do squeak!  The squeakiness is all part of the pleasure of eating them.).  But what to wet your whistle with whilst enjoying your creamy blue?  Lucky for us, across the aisle from cheese heaven was the Fielding Estate Winery booth, where we got our mitts on a sample of their upcoming pinot gris. 

I love pinot gris! I don't think I've met a pinot gris/grigio that I haven't liked.  True story, I used to pronounce it pinot 'grig-ee--o', because I am so very, very lame when it comes to languages.  I have trouble saying 'haute couture' too.  It's a disability, I swear.  ANYWAY, no matter how you say it, pinot gris is always soooo refreshing.  It's great for starters and goes with so much.  And this particular example is extra yummy AND it comes from Ontario, so isn't that a nice bonus (I'm looking at you Lorri!)?  Fielding's offering was very honey and citrusey, and tasted really fresh and lovely in the kind of way that you could sip through a bottle in no time.  There was a lovely acidity to it too, that'd cut through those fatty cheeses making for a nice balance.  Now tsk tsk to Fielding Estates for not providing any vintage information, but cheers for giving us the where's and when's and how muches: you can find Fielding Estates Pinot Gris at the LCBO starting in May, LCBO number 223610, and it'll cost you $18.95 for a bottle (nice price!).

Tomorrow on Wine Show Wind Up: Chablis and Malpeques--I can finally cross this one off my bucket list!

xoxo

B.

No comments:

Post a Comment