Friday, November 5, 2010

Lorri Drinks Across America: The Chicago Edition


Lorri's 'Home Away from Home' whilst in Chicago. Nice shack!


Lucky me! I am away for the weekend, selling me photographs at market, but Lorri was able to step up to the plate AGAIN and write another blog entry. Seems she's determined to drink in every state; now if only we can get her to try something other than Californian wine!! (I tease you , sister! I tease because I love).

Lorri writes:

Greetings from Chick-cahh-go.
I hope you won’t mind me crashing Barb’s blog so frequently, but all the travel this month has allowed me to sample wines, at Barb’s strict instructions of course.

Is Chicago a wine region? I thought I would find out. Well I do know for sure they serve wine in Chicago, so off I go.

Before I get to the wine part, can I just say that I am staying at the most ridiculously lavish hotel I have ever stayed in – the Trump International Towers in Chicago. I believe it is the tallest building on the Chicago skyline.

I stepped out of my sweaty airport shuttle to find a SWAT team of bellhops, personal assistants and concierge’s taking control of my suitcase while offering me a hot lemon and ginger towel on a bamboo board as I stepped to the reservation desk. I think someone at the beginning asked my name, which I must have mumbled in shock, because by the time I got to the reservation desk, they were already well underway to checking me in. Wow. I suddenly wished I had taken extra care that morning to pick all the dog hairs off my coat and use a more expensive set of luggage.

I rode the glass and brass elevator up to my room on the 17th floor to a room that reminded me more of a spa with a spectacular view of Chicago than a hotel room. I have never seen a hotel room like this – I have a stainless steel DISHWASHER in my room, okay?? My bathroom really does look like a spa . There is a television built into the surface of the mirror in the bathroom…a full bathtub with class enclosed floor shower along with jets that threaten to “bidet you” if you’re not careful….several brands of designer water (mom would laugh at the “Bling” water, which comes in a rhinestone encrusted bottle – at $25USD per 750ml bottle), full stocked martini fridge with fine vodkas ….a bed that looks like a puffy cloud…. A full kitchen with granite countertop, cupboards of complete fine glassware and table ware, another cupboard full of high end gourmet snacks, an expensive looking espresso maker....the lunch menu has a lobster clubhouse for only $37USD (gulp). I just ate the gourmet chocolate chip cookies out of the bar fridge...that probably just cost me about $23 bucks ...but they were good. So you get the idea – Wow –wheee-wow-wow. And what a view.

I hook up to the high speed to get ready to do some work and realize that it’s noon somewhere, and open a mini bottle of wine that comes with the room. I’m vaguely worried that it may cost me something like $85 for the glass of wine I am about to try, which I hope is not true.

The corked halfie was labelled “FRANCISCAN ESTATE – MAGNIFICAT – 2007 Napa Valley Meritage, Red Wine”. Strange I thought that the label did not specify Merlot, Cabernet, etc etc...so I checked the label on the back and read:

“Napa Valley, Meritage, Red Wine
As a seamless and harmonious as the Bach masterwork it honors in name we crafted Magnificat to be a blend of the vintage’s finest lots from our Estate and other select vineyards. This Meritage shows layered aromas of cassis and plum, with ripe black fruit flavours and hints of vanilla and spice. (Remember, Know-Nothings, if you read my label-decoding post, you'll know that Meritage means a Bordeaux-style blend. Expect blends of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, and to a lesser extent, Petit Verdot and Malbec.--B.).
Well there is my answer – it’s a blend. I don’t think I’ve ever tried a blend before. (n.b. You probably have.--B.) So I popped the cork and let ‘er rip – or is that let er’ sip. I noticed it’s a very dark wine...took a big taste...and...my official response................ “Meh”.

It was okay, but just okay. I don’t think I would buy this wine on purpose. Kind of a surprise, given my love of Californian wines, I say nay on this one.

Later that evening, I had to attend a welcome reception for the event, and moved up to the bar to examine a different red to report on. And what to my wondering eyes did appear but a delightful HESS label – but this time a white Chardonnay. You may recall from my initial blog my delightful experience with the HESS Cabernet – so I changed my focus from red to white wine. I must say I was not at all disappointed – a delightfully dry refreshing yet very flavourful white wine. When I drink white I usually drink Pinot Grigio, but this was an amazing Chardonnay. So a score of two-and-oh for Hess wines – another fabulous home run. Mental note to consider a winery sampling trip to Hess Vineyards next time I visit California.

Final note – dinner the next night with my classmates involved surf and turf – given my great experience with Chardonnay the previous day, I asked for a glass of the Chardonnay, however didn’t get a chance to ask which brand. Anyhoo, didn’t even finish the glass – it tasted like sweet applejuice wine. Yuck. Will have to study this one a bit more.

Off to bed, an early morning tomorrow as I head to Ottawa. I wonder if Ottawa is a wine region?

(I didn't think Ottawa grew anything but snowbanks and crooked politicians, but apparently there are five wineries to discover in the region. You can find out more here: http://www.wineriesontario.com/ottawa--B.

No comments:

Post a Comment